Who doesn’t want to elevate their website’s appeal? Everyone does! If you aim to enhance your site’s design and layout without delving into custom coding, consider installing themes. You can access a variety of themes, tailored to your site’s specific needs. Examples of theme functionalities include altering visual layouts, refining navigation styles, enhancing responsiveness, customizing typography, and much more to amplify your website’s appeal.
Similar to plugins WordPress Themes are both available in free and premium versions. WordPress themes are like apps for WordPress websites that add new features to a site. Learn to install themes and take full advantage of using awesome themes. We have covered all three methods of installing themes: installing a WordPress theme using search, uploading a WordPress theme, and manually installing a WordPress theme using FTP.
Installing a WordPress Themes Using Search #
Well, this is one of the easiest methods to find themes. You can search both paid and free plugins for your site here. Moreover, free themes are available in the WordPress theme directory where you can search for free and see the active installation, star rating, and more. Follow our step-by-step tutorial on how to install a WordPress plugin via search.
- From your WordPress Admin panel go to Themes
- Click on Add New which will redirect you to the theme search section.
- Next, click on the Search themes box which is at the right of the screen.
- Then Type the theme name or functionality you are looking for.
- The Theme you search for will appear on the screen or with a bunch of listing with similar functionality.
- Next, click on the Install Now button for the theme you choose.
- After the successful installation and download, you can click on Activate button.
Now, you can configure the plugin setting and start using it and get benefits.
Installing a WordPress plugin using Admin Plugin Upload #
This method of installing WordPress plugins is for premium plugins. If you have purchased any plugins you can go through this upload method to install them. After purchase, you will get a zip file from the source and download the zip file. After that, follow the following steps.
- From WordPress Admin Area go to Plugins.
- Click on Add New. The plugin interface will get displayed on the screen.
- At the top beside Add Plugins, you will see an Upload Plugin box. Click on Upload Plugin.
- Next, click on choose file to upload the zip file you have downloaded beforehand.
- After you choose the file then click on Install Now.
- Once installed, you need to click the Activate Plugin link to use the plugin.
Installing Themes Manually in WordPress Using FTP. #
What is FTP? The Full form of FTP is File Transfer Protocol. FTP is a fast and simple way to upload files from your computer to your website or transfer files from one website to another. In rare cases, some web hosting providers offer an FTP server so that users can upload WordPress and other files and we need an FTP client software to run it. Go through the steps to install a plugin manually using FTP.
- Firstly, you need to download the theme’s source file.
- Extract the theme zip file on your computer. Extracted file will create a new folder with the same name.
- Next, Open the FTP client and fill in the information required there; website name, hostname, FTP user name, and Password( WordPress hosting provider sends the user name and password via email).
- Once you are connected to your website via FTP, you need to go to /wp-content/themes/ folder.
- Next, upload the folder you extracted from the zip file to the /wp-content/themes/ folder on your web server.
- After uploading the files, you need to visit the WordPress admin area and click on the Themes link.
- You will see a theme installed successfully.
- Click on Activate to start using it.